Artisan Camp - Traditional Maori Basket Weaving
Woodfordia 8:00am - 5:00pm
Art, Family, General Interest, Music, Hobbies, Seniors, Social, Special Interest
87 Woodrow Road
Woodford, Queensland, 4514
Over three days you will connect with nature and get creative while using traditional New Zealand Maori techniques – along with your own contemporary ideas – to explore this amazing plant and fibre. Alice will teach you the traditional techniques of weaving with New Zealand harakeke (flax) and together you will explore and discuss the processes, traditions, Tikana (protocols) around weaving as well as how to nurture the plant and how to harvest sustainably.
All materials and resources are provided.
Whether you are a beginner or have experience in other weaving techniques, you will enjoy a day or weekend of weaving in a safe and nurturing environment.
- Karakia/prayer for weaving and harvesting, learning sustainable harvesting and about the plant, tikanga/protocol and overview of the creation for harakeke. This will also have a resource for them to take home.
- Start to prepare harakeke for weaving.
- Learn different ways to prepare the leaves and create a flower or bracelet to practice techniques learnt.
- Closing karakia
- Weave a basket/pop up kete.
- Make handles and add feathers etc to adorn kete/basket.
- Closing Karakia.
- Weave a four-cornered basket to practice similar techniques from day two. This can either be small one or large. These are great for drink-bottle holders, etc. For those who want to expand I can introduce different finishes.
- Closing Karakia and a time to show what they have created.
All materials are included in the class price. Learn more about host Alice Spittle.
Payment plan available.
Artisan Camp, a range of distinctive classes led by masters of their craft, is held each year leading up to our annual Planting festival at the stunning Woodfordia festival site. Complimentary morning yoga, meal packages and half price Planting tickets are available for Artisan Campees.
For a full list of masterclasses available, booking and more information, please visit artisancamp.com.
The Artisan Camp is followed by The Planting, to which campers get half price tickets.