Yandina Community Gardens
Address:41 Farrell Street,Yandina,Queensland4561
Phone:07 5446 7373
Yandina Community Gardens is a volunteer-run organisation that promotes environmentally sustainable, affordable, healthy living based on Permaculture principles through education and example. We inspire and teach people to grow their own nutritious food; be healthy, active, and connected; and live sustainably. We are dedicated to Permaculture ethics of Care of Earth, Care of People and Sharing Surplus. A place of beauty, creativity, inspiration, fun, serenity and lots of hugs! Our signs says, “Permaculture Garden open, All Welcome!”
Yandina Community Gardens is an educational facility and demonstration site of urban Permaculture food production. We also have a small aquaponics system and demonstrate sustainable housing techniques through our retro-fitted Blue House and straw bale shelter.
Plants propagated by our Volunteers - water wise subtropical food plants, support species, herbs and some fruit trees - are available from our nursery, starting at $2. We also sell a range of garden products including our own seeds, garden nutrients, gardening and recipe books, wicking bed & worm farm kits.
Community members can participate at YCG in various ways:
- Volunteer on Mondays, Tuesdays and Saturdays in the gardens and/or get involved in other tasks involved in running our organisation (e.g., administration, promotion, catering, organising events, presenting, taking photos, social media, garden art, fundraising). Come along and we will find a role that suits your skills and passions!
- Become a YCG Member – for a reasonable annual fee, Members receive various discounts and benefits (e.g., product discounts), entry in exclusive Member draws, and Member-only events
- Attend our Saturday Education program (including workshops, educational garden tours & documentary screenings) on 3 Saturday mornings each month, and other education events/activities, including activities for children
- We offer group tours for adult groups and schools/childcare/playgroups for a small fee per person (free for primary school children & younger)
- Visit and enjoy a leisurely wander through our gardens! Enjoy connecting with nature and pick up a few ideas from seeing how we grow J
Open Monday and Tuesday 8-2 & Saturday 8-12 (Generally closed on public holidays)
Visit our website and Facebook page (Yandina Community Gardens) for further information.